Sunday, October 16, 2011

A little perspective...

So...there's nothing like a 5k to make you realize how OUT OF SHAPE you really are. I am feeling pain in places that I didn't know pain could exist. Worse than hurting physically, man...my pride took a hit. Deep down I thought, "Ahhh, it's just a 5k. I can do this, no problem." Having one of those mind over matter moments was like a nightmare. I couldn't believe how hard a 5k was.

To start off, I haven't "exercised" since about June. Yes, sad as I am to have to admit that, I have not. I have certainly thought about it, but haven't taken any measures to get my butt moving. To add to that, I have been eating badly. Like chips and dip (most everyday) bad. Like 2-4 Dr. Pepper's a day bad. Like candies and cookies past 8:00pm bad. You get it-BAD.

So as I was internally complaining about how much pain I feel after that run yesterday, I had to say (TO MYSELF): "It's your own fault"! And as much as I don't want to admit that I cannot rely on "good metabolism" genetics anymore, I am going to make a change.

Here is my plan:

1. Eat Better-I have decided that eating better will be number one here. I am going off any soda (ANY) and drinking either water or milk. I am going to learn to LOVE vegetables. I am going to eat more fruit. I am going learn how to snack better. I am going to eat BETTER. Period.

2. Exercise Regularly (meaning at least 5-6x a week)-I have decided to come up with a great work out plan. I want to learn to ENJOY running-you know those people that actually like it, well, I want to be one of those people. I want to run 3 days a week. I've decided to just go for a run after my girls are in bed. I want to do some at-home weight training to tone my arms. I will come up with a good "boot camp style" program that I can do in the mornings (like lunges, pushups, situps, pilates, stretching...). I am going to exercise regularly. Period.

3. Enter another 5k and beat my previous time of 36 minutes (because that is just sad)-There is another 5k coming up on November 6th, and I am going to beat my time. My goal is run the 5k in 25 minutes. I CAN DO IT. Then once I've done that...I'll just keep going faster. (Run, Forest, RUUUNN!) Maybe I will win once (another bucket list goal of mine).

4. ONWARD AND UPWARD-5k isn't that much...how about a 10k, half marathon, full marathon...I will continue to train and get TONED up-look amazing for a mother with four girls. I want to keep doing more. I will eventually get back to teaching dance (hopefully SOONER than later).

So...like I said, there ain't nothing like a 5k to give you a little perspective on how OUT OF SHAPE you really are.

No comments:

That's-a-my-girls!

That's-a-my-girls!
Ash-Ellyce-Jilly

Books I'm Reading

  • Book of Mormon
  • Soul Surfer-by Bethany Hamilton
  • Ida B.-Katherine Hannigan
  • Hunger Games-by Suzanne Collins
  • The Help-by Kathryn Stockett
  • Baby Proof- by Emily Giffin
  • Ramona and Her Mother-by Beverly Cleary
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean-by Lauren Child (for the girls)